These delicious coffee ice cream sandwiches are the perfect summer treat! We used espresso bean sugar from Old Salt Merchants to finish off these dream bars. The mix of coffee and chocolate is simply divine!
You can get our delicious espresso bean sugar and our Bolivian rose salt at www.oldsaltmerchants.com
1. 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour (for a gluten-free version, I use Cup4Cup brand) and more for dusting
2. two 1/2 tsp baking powder
3. 12 tbs unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks) room temperature
4. 1 1/4 cups sugar (I use 1/4 cup espresso sugar and 1 cup Lakanto Golden Monkfruit Sugar) for lower sugar intake
5. 1 tbs milk or Ripple non dairy milk
6. 1/2 cup cocoa powder
7. 1/4 tsp salt or OSM's Bolivian Rose
8. 1 1/2 tsp good quality vanilla extract
9. 2 large eggs
10. 2 to 2 1/2 pints coffee ice cream softened
How to make it
1. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, vanilla, and sugar.
2. Add eggs and milk, and mix until combined. Add reserved flour mixture, and mix on low speed until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl at least once.
3. Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough out on a floured surface, sliding an offset spatula under the dough to release it every few turns of the rolling pin.
5. Roll dough to 1/8 inch thick.
6. Cut dough using a square shape cookie cutters 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter, making sure each cookie has a match to make a sandwich. Place squares on a parchment-lined baking sheet; chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
7. Remove from refrigerator; use a fork to prick the cookies all over with holes.
8. Bake until just firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet; transfer to a wire rack.
9. With the underside of half the cookies face up, spoon softened coffee ice cream about 1/2 inch thick to cover one side. Place matching cookie on top of ice cream, top side facing out.
10. Transfer immediately to freezer to harden; repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream.
11. Serve directly from the freezer and sprinkle OMS's espresso sugar!
Sandwiches can be kept stored in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 to 4 days.